Point Me

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Relaxin' to the Maxin'


The best part of going to Cobbs though, is the lack of noise and distraction. Being there gives you lots of time to relax, and lots of time for reading. I started/finished two books while I was there. Lady Oracle by Margaret Atwood and Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut. This was Vonnegut's first novel, and also the first Vonnegut I'd ever read. I enjoyed it very much.

Weirdly, these two books, and the book I read before for that (Dune by Frank Herbert) all had main characters named Paul.

I also got a chance to do a lot of knitting over there. I was working on a beret for myself, out of this really beautiful olive colored yarn. This is one of the first projects I've done though, that I'm really, truly disappointed by. You see, I went out and bought new needles so I could follow the pattern exactly. It was supposed to look like this:

But it ended up looking like this:
So tight and tiny! It's nothing even remotely like a beret. It's a beanie! The hat band is actually so tight that it gives me headaches if I keep it on. Clearly, the girl who made this pattern is some kind of baby-headed freak! I'm pretty sad that I put so much time, and such a gorgeous yarn into such a failure of a hat. Oh well, live and learn, I suppose. Perhaps It's time I started making my own patterns instead of depending on other peoples. And perhaps I'll give this miniature to my little cousin.

1 comment: