Point Me

Monday, August 2, 2010

Water Babies - 1935

August is here! It's the perfect time for naked, 2-inch tall, genderless babies to frolic lakeside with their animal friends.



This cartoon was part of the "Silly Symphony" series that Disney put out between 1929 and 1939. In 10 years, they made 75 of these short movies, all based around a dynamic musical score, and usually featuring unique characters that are not considered part of the "Mickey Mouse/ Princess" character canon that the studio is known for today. These movies were the stepping stone to the long form animated feature films that Disney started making in 1937.

My favorite part is the Bullfight Serquence at 4:43. I love how old cartoons made blood sport seem so kid friendly. I think I was about 13 before I realized the point of bullfighting was to kill the bull...

No comments:

Post a Comment