Point Me

Monday, August 2, 2010

Weekend of Mayhem


Over the weekend, Paul and I went to the Gathering of the Vibes Music Festival in Bridgeport CT. It was an absolutely amazing fun time. For 3 days, we camped out by the beach and heard some fantastic live music. My favorite sets were Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, Caravan of Thieves, Deep Banana Blackout and Primus.

Wavy Gravy was the master of ceremonies, and sang a depressing song about how the children of tomorrow are screwed, to the children of tomorrow (As one t-shirt vendor said, "How 'bout that, Wavy Gravy's still alive and kickin'. Even after all those years of pot smoking, and the pounds and pounds of LSD he took...."). There were a surprising number of kids there, all dressed up in tie dye and greatful dead bear onesies. Weirdly enough though, the festival really did have a family friendly vibe. That is, if you're comfortable with your family being around people smoking a lot of weed, all the live long day.

By the way, hippie children are an unstoppable force. When they're not trying to sell you flashlights and tie dye t-shirts tent-to-tent, or hula hooping constantly for hours on end, they're running around like crazy people.



Here's some video I took, walking around during the festival. I wish that I had gotten more of it, and better quality. When I was actually at most of the concerts, I was too excited and dancing too much to tape.

I really do think I'm going to try and go again next year. It was a really outstanding experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment