Point Me

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wednesday Dinner #6 - Creamy Zucchini Tarts


Mmmm...This dinner was really easy to make and exceeded my expectations. It's super delicious and a great way to disguise vegetables as a treat. Paul doesn't really like zucchini, and he declared this "delicious".

This dinner also introduced me to the delight that is frozen puff pastry. It's amazing! It's delicious, easy, and makes things seem fancy. I've been won over.

The tart filling is from 101 great vegetarian recipes. The original instructions had you put the mixture into a pie crust, and make it like a quiche. I think this could be equally delicious, and great to bring as an appetizer to a party. I decided to make it in puff pastry instead because the only ready-made pie crusts they had at Big Y were Oreo and Graham cracker flavored, and I somehow felt that that wouldn't taste as good...

This makes 4 large tarts.



1 lb zucchini
1/2 cup soft herb and garlic cheese (I used goat cheese)
1 egg
salt and pepper
1 sheet of frozen puff pastry



I used these frozen sheets from Pepperidge Farms. Take them out of the freezer and let one sheet defrost for 40 minutes. This is enough time for it to become pliable, but not too sticky. Once, soft, cut into 4 squares.

Preheat the oven to 400 degree. Lightly grease a baking sheet.

Now, grate your zuchinni into a large bowl. I was suprised how easy it is to grate zuchinni.

Next take your cheese and beat a little,until it crumbles. Add the beaten egg, a little at a time, mixing well between each addition. It should be a smooth, creamy mixture when you're done.

Mix the cheese mixture and the zuchinni together, until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.

Next, take your four pastry squares and lay them on a baking sheet. Spoon out the filling evenly between the 4 tarts. You should leave about a 1 inch border around the filling, so the pastry will fluff up into a nice crust.

Bake for 15-20 minutes.

I still have another puff pastry sheet leftover, and I'm really excited about the cooking possibilities. Since we're out of snacks officially, maybe I'll make these . They look wicked good.

No comments:

Post a Comment