Point Me

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Winter Blues Cowl


When the weather outside, quite frankly, sucks, something warm and cozy is a most important remedy. A big soft cowl works well in lieu of a fireside or soft flannel sheets. Once I put this guy on, I never want to take it off!

The bulk of this piece was made during the mega storm that paralyzed us last week. Now that it's temporarily sunny and warm (40 is warm, right?), it seems slightly unseasonable. I'm not so sure we're out of the woods with this damnable weather though, so it may yet get some use.

The yarn I used for this was Rowan Big Wool. This was the second time I've really consciously chosen to use a more high-end, superior quality yarn, and I have to say it really does make a noticeable difference. It was also kind of awesome to use a big thick wool that knit up quick after my last project. It took me a month to make the "Bad Oyster" using sock yarn, while this, like I said, only took a coupla days.

I based the pattern on the one available here. The stitch I used is the American Moss Stitch:

Rows 1 and 2: k1, p1
Rows 3 and 4: p1, k1

And repeat!

If I was stranded in a snowstorm, I would want to be wearing this. You can pull it up and wear it like an awesome warm hood that makes you look like a Jawa.

1 comment: