Point Me

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Wednesday Dinner #1 - Mac n' Cheese

I get to have Wednesdays off, which is one of the many perks of my job. I also get to use company stamps for personal mail!

These Wednesdays are awesome to have, because they help me keep up with chores. I also like to use the extra time to cook Paul nice dinners. Basically, Wednesday is my day to enjoy being a housewife, 1950's style. I thought it would be fun to share what I'm cooking for the breadwinner with all you guys out there across the interwebs.

This week I made Mac n' Cheese, the old fashioned way. This is a great recipe from an awesome cookbook; The National Firefighters Cookbook. Maybe its the extra heroism that makes everything taste so good. Every recipe is an original creation of men from stations across America, designed to be cooked in a firehouse. Generally, that means they're easy to make, easy to clean up after, and made to feed a lot of men. There's not a whole lot of vegetarian options in there though (suprised?).

However, this Mac N' Cheese is awesome and vegetarian. Even though it takes twice as long as making it from a box, it's way worth the wait.

DOUBLE CHEESE BAKED MACARONI from Basking Ridge Fire Co #1 of Basking Ridge NJ.


1 cup macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1 cup soft bread crumbs
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup minced onion
1 Tbsp parsley
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cup milk
Paprika for color

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cook and drain Macaroni. Toss with Butter. Add bread crumbs, cheeses, eggs, onion, parsley, salt, pepper, and milk. Mix well. Turn into greased 2 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake 40 to 45 minutes. Can also be cooked in the micro for 15 minutes on half power.

The results are soo cheesy and delicious. Adding a fresh diced tomato is also a good improvement. So is cubing some white bread and sprinkling it on top to make a crunchy, toasty crust on top. Mmmm...

I'll try to make an effort in the future to make the food pictures a little more photogenic.

After Dinner, Paul and I sat outside and watched the sunset and drank some Harpoon Leviathan Quad. I really liked this beer, more than I have other Quads I tried in the past. It has a nice flowery taste to it, and the after taste isn't too long-lasting. Plus, an 11% ABV is nothing to sneeze at. The weather has been so nice here lately, its been great to be able to go out and appreciate sunlight again.


No comments:

Post a Comment