Point Me

Friday, July 8, 2011

Wildflowers

They are my favorite sort of flowers really, I think. I have many good memories of being a kid in summer, in a meadow near my grandparent's summer cabin, making bouquets with my cousins. What's my favorite wild flower?


 Rudbeckia Hirta. Alias: Black-eyed Susan.


This flower is purported to have a variety of medicinal uses; it's roots have been said to remedy sores, snakebites, colds, worms, and earaches.


I was always attracted to it's sunny color. Plus, it's long basal leaves are perfect for rounds of "he loves me, he loves me not."

I'm sad to hear it referred to by some as an "obnoxious weed!" Because it is beautiful. I am interested in reading botanist Richard Mabey's book "Weeds: In Defense of Nature's Most Unloved Plants". Can't we all just get along with our uninvited vegetation?

No comments:

Post a Comment