Point Me

Sunday, October 17, 2010

My Aunt is a Zombie, from Hell.

Lately I've been really into watching old Aardman Studio animations. It started when I found you could watch the old "Wallace and Gromit" shorts streaming on Netflix. From there I looked up a lot of the old ones I remembered having on VHS as a kid. This one, "Not Without my Handbag" (1993), is a spooky one to get you in the mood for Halloween.

I think what I liked so much about it as a kid was the laissez-faire attitude this short had towards really spooky things. Demons, death, hell, and walking corpses were all sort of treated like no big deal. I also really liked (and still like) the surreal animation style.







This short has a real Monty Python sensibility to it, like jokes the news reader slips in there and the archetypal pepper-pot figure in poor auntie. It gets even more similar at the climax, when the devil totally goes the way of Mr. Creosote.

No comments:

Post a Comment